For international students who want to study medicine, the United States of America has consistently risen to the top of the list. More than a million foreign students from various nations reside in the nation. You’ll get a taste of the sizable foreign student population in the USA if you study there. The QS global ranking for medicine includes more than 600 US colleges.
How Do I Study in the USA? Every student should give this question a lot of thought
The top medical schools and colleges in the USA provide its students a comprehensive medical education together with top-notch facilities and technology. In the United States, only postgraduate degrees in medicine and pharmacy are offered. Prior to enrolling in medical school, students must complete a four-year bachelor’s degree. Or, to put it another way, students need to accumulate enough credits in foundational subjects like organic chemistry and biology.
On the list of the top paid jobs in the US, healthcare jobs come in first place. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that between 2019 and 2029, employment in healthcare vocations would increase by 15%, adding around 2.4 million new jobs.
Why do medical studies in the USA?
- It is well known that the American medical programme is among the most challenging in the entire globe.
- The best medical schools in the world are located in the United States. Medical universities in the United States have the top resources and lecturers. Additionally, they have a lively extracurricular scene on campus that offers a wide range of activities.
- In the United States, many of the top medical schools focus on cutting-edge research across a wide range of medical specialties. Students who have a passion for research are encouraged to become medical research researchers.
- After graduating, it would be less complicated for a student to go back to India for practice. MCI accepts medical degrees from the United States, and a medical degree from the United States is highly respected in India.
- By 2029, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment of nurses and physicians will increase by 15%. It’s a terrific moment to enter the medical field.
MD in the USA
There are no medical undergraduate programmes available in the US. Prior to enrolling in medical school, students must complete a four-year bachelor’s degree. Students must get enough credits in foundational subjects like organic chemistry and biology. It would be okay to have a broad Bachelor of Science degree with minors in biology, chemistry, or physics. A student’s bachelor of science degree is also regarded as a pre-medical course.
Students have the option to enroll in a postgraduate programme in the USA after earning their undergraduate degrees. The majority of medical colleges and universities in the US provide the MD, or Doctor of Medicine. An globally recognized four-year medical degree in the United States, the MD, is analogous to the MBBS in India.
Here are the main medical councils across the world that accept the MD degree earned in the USA, which is internationally recognized and approved.
- Medical Council of India (MCI)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- World Federation for Medical Education (WFME)
- The Foundation for International Medical Education and Research Advancement
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Ministry of Education, USA
Top medical schools in the USA
Here are some of the Top medical schools in USA:
- Harvard Medical School, Harvard University
- Stanford Medicine, Stanford University
- David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
- Yale School of Medicine, Yale University
Requirements for medical school admission in the USA
The following are the standard requirements for US medical schools:
- A high school diploma with biology and English credits
- degree in the sciences from the undergraduate level (3-4 years)
- Minimum 3.0 or 3.5 undergraduate GPA, depending on the institution
- Good TOEFL language scores
- Letters of recommendation
- Extracurricular activities
- A minimum MCAT score (set by each university individually, usually over 500)
- Additionally, several American medical schools have prerequisites that include taking premedical courses like:
- College Biology with laboratory, one year
- One year of general college Chemistry with lab
- 24 semester hours or more in the humanities are required in biology and chemistry.
- A year of calculus or statistics is required for math (6-8 semester hours)
- College general for one year Physics that includes a lab (8 semester hours)